Monday, June 21, 2010

Solstice in the Potager

Tidying things up a bit today after my vacation, I was surprised to see how tall my eggplant had gotten, along with a exuberant dill flower.  I've always had terrible luck with flea beetles completely destroying my eggplant, so I was cheered by their height.  I have a favorite recipe from Madhur Jaffrey for fried eggplant in a spicy green herb oil, as well a "napoleon" made with crispy eggplant, tomatoes, goat cheese, and basil oil.

Dismaying in their still petite stature were my basil and hot peppers.  I should be happy the basil has not succumbed to this new fungus that is apparently attacking basil here in Maryland, but it is putting a damper on my dreams of caprese salad!  The hot peppers are puzzling in their lack of height, and is worrisome for my dreams of hot sauce.  I think a call to the Cooperative Exchange may be in order!

Unfortunately, my hard drive has bit the dust, so I'm not sure when I will be including photos again, but bear with this green-thumbed Luddite, please!

No comments: