Monday, May 24, 2010

Broccoli v. Broccoli Raab...

...who will triumph?  Indeed.  I plant broccoli raab each year, lured by fantasies of garlicky adventures at my stove but each year, it grows taller, and wilder, until it sprouts golden flowers and is no more.  It seems I am too distracted by other growing things until it is too late for Monsieur Raab.  First, the succulent and ephemeral asparagus, crashed by various lettuces, and clamoring strawberries.  Ah, the strawberries.  They insist upon being the center of attention, to the detriment of my neglected greens.  Just last week, I picked over five pounds, my fingers and chin ruby.  Yesterday, it was the arugula that caught my fancy: too large to be "micro" and too small to pick, I teased myself by grazing until I made myself walk away to inspect the raspberries.  Though the flowers its brambles bear are insignificant to myself, I am routinely startled by hummingbirds who do not share my opinion.  But I just am not callous enough to entirely jilt poor M. Raab...perhaps he will find his way to my kitchen tonight, courtesy of a garlicky tomato sauce and some sausage.

2 comments:

Ottawa Gardener said...

I suggest culling Mr. Raab as he really is delicious. This is one plant I tend to grow mostly in the fall garden.

Christine said...

Thanks...I wonder if he may be too big and bitter since he's started to flower. Never hurts to try, I say!